Hotel Savings: How to Score the Best Deals!
Spring is just around the corner and many of you are probably in the stages of planning your getaway. It is in your best interest to plan your trip as early as possible to get the best deals. Why not try a staycation? There are probably dozens of things to do in your own city that you have never gotten around to exploring. Be a tourist for the day (or several) in your own town and you’ll save on both travel and lodging expenses. Residents are often given discounts to local attractions.
However, if you are looking for a getaway away from your hometown, there are still plenty of ways to save. Here are 10 great tips for obtaining the best deal:
1. Check online discount sites such as kayak.com and hotels.com. Hotels.com gives you one free night after you book 10 nights with them. Kayak is a great site which allows you to compare hotel costs from multiple sites at the same time. Both sites allow you to sort search results by price or amenities.
2. Book through Priceline. Priceline allows you to save 60% on hotels by bidding. You pick the star level of the hotel and then “name your own price.” You will not know the name of the hotel until your bid is accepted.
3. Check the website of the hotel you are staying with to see if they offer any special packages or promotions.
4. You can save yourself some money by booking a hotel with a free breakfast. Use the search feature on hotels.com or kayak.com to sort by hotels which include free breakfast.
5. Book hotels with kitchenettes, especially if you are going away for a few days. This will save you some money on restaurants by enabling you to prepare snacks or meals in your room.
6. Skip the suites; don’t waste extra money paying for rooms and amenities that you aren’t going to use.
7. Check for coupon codes on Retailmenot.com.
8. If you are traveling with pets consider staying at a La Quinta Inn or Red Roof Inn. Both allow pets with no charge. I prefer La Quinta Inn because there are locations all over the country and they have a great breakfast buffet.
9. Book in advance for the best deals. Most hotels offer the best discounts if you book at least 2 weeks in advance, preferably more.
10. Travel during the off season. It may not be the best time of the year for activities and entertainment, however, you will save big and deal with less crowds.
Check back regularly for more blogs on saving money while traveling. Our next blog will deal with tips on saving on airfare.